CAPLA RPL Boot Camp
CAPLA’s recognition of prior learning (RPL) Boot Camp on October 14th and 15th is for the brave, strong and disruptive innovator who wants to improve the way we acknowledge learning in Canada!Can you imagine a better process to recognize and assess transferable skills and competencies? Can you re-think the way you advise immigrants, job-seekers, older workers or adult learners looking for meaningful work and appropriate training in Canada? Can you make time for someone to tell their life and learning story? Can you visualize the impact of assessing a person’s knowledge, skills and abilities with greater confidence, reliability and fairness?
If you can answer ‘yes’ to any of these questions, you may be a Bootcamp cadet so get ready for an intense work-out to ramp up your RPL activities. Your quality-assured ‘tools of the RPL trade’ will be the Canadian Guiding Principles for Quality RPL Practice, a Six Step Quality RPL process, Self-Audit Checklists and real-life stories from experienced presenters. You can help strengthen Canada’s labour force by valuing, assessing and re-deploying people’s workplace skills and life experiences in efficient ways, to meet job requirements, industry standards or core competencies. This two-day event is a unique experience for the recognition of prior learning (RPL) in diverse fields, and is about capacity-building, efficiency and quality. Listen to real-life success stories and try out new ideas that will revolutionize your career advising and assessment world.
- If you are an immigrant serving organization and work with refugees and immigrants who may not have access to authenticated formal credentials, this Boot Camp is for you.
- If you are an occupational body or academic institution looking for reliable and rigorous ways to assess competencies against occupational or academic standards, this Boot Camp is for you.
- If you are a career development practitioner who provides job search and employment counselling to newcomers, the unemployed or underemployed in your community, this Boot Camp is for you.
- If you are working on more effective recognition systems that will benefit end-users and other stakeholders, this Boot Camp is for you.
The recognition of prior learning (RPL) is a fundamental component of lifelong learning. Adults develop skills and competencies after leaving school and the labour force needs skilled workers! So seize this opportunity to make a difference in your hiring, advising, educational and regulatory processes, based on quality-assured learning recognition practices and pan-Canadian guidelines.
THE BOOT CAMP PROGRAM
Day 1 is a general session for all participants. Day 2 will feature a variety of workshops and you may select the ones that have particular appeal.
- Overview of adult learning, RPL/prior learning assessment and recognition (PLAR) and current Canadian and international RPL trends
- Crash course on the fundamentals of, and advances in, RPL practices and assessment tools
- Introduction to CAPLA’s RPL Quality Assurance MANUAL
- Pan-Canadian RPL guidelines
- Six RPL Steps
- Self-audit checklists
Workshop topics on Saturday will include (but not be limited to) quality practice in certification programs, competency mapping, adult learning principles, career transitioning, RPL tools, centres of RPL excellence, workplace-focused RPL, competency frameworks, alternative careers for immigrants, RPL for veterans, and improving RPL candidate success.
CAPLA will be using the RPL Quality Assurance MANUAL (2015) to inform the Boot Camp’s program activities and outcomes.